Sunday, January 11, 2015

Name That Theme ...

Theme is a huge skill for our young readers in today's standards, yet it is so puzzling to their little minds. In December, I began racking my brain of what innovative way could I hook my learners.

That is when Name That Theme was born. Kids love music and can easily relate to music. The hardest part of planning the lesson was finding music with school appropriate lyrics. I projected a copy of the lyrics and the kids had a copy of the lyrics to highlight and find textual evidence. The kids loved it!!! Student engagement was at it's best! It is still difficult, but they have a strong reference point.

Songs I used:

*Happy by Pharrell Williams

*Roar by Katy Perry

*Am I Wrong by Nico and Vinz

*Let It Go By Frozen (Disney)

What other songs can you think of to teach theme that kids would love? I would love to hear what others are using.

We also used some task cards to practice in partners. You can check out them out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment