Saturday, February 28, 2015

Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites Chapters 1 & 2 Book Study

I am so excited to be reading Marcia Tate's book Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites and participate in the discussions in this online book study. I am joining Kickin' It In Kindergarten to talk about Chapters 1 & 2.

I have the opportunity to provide intervention for students primarily 3-6. Therefore, I know my views of this book will have a different spin than when I was a classroom teacher. I only see groups of students for 30-45 minutes at a time. I can also not implement all of the things I want to because of time restrictions.

Whether in the classroom or providing intervention, I have always taught with lots of academic talking and justifying. I am always surprised that when I ask students to explain their answer or thinking, they begin to erase or think they are wrong. I have to train my kids that when I ask those questions, it doesn't mean they are wrong. I am also always surprised by the silence of students when I ask questions. My kids tell me lots of times I am not sure and what are my answer choices. I encourage my students to not be afraid to ask questions and to share. It is so exciting to see their eyes light up as they are able to explain to each other their thinking.

Right now, we are we knee deep in practicing for the upcoming STAAR test. I have began giving each student a task card for the skill we are working on. After they choose an answer, they switch cards with their partner and check their partners card. They have to to agree on the same answer and justify their thinking. It is music to my ears when I hear the language developing of children truly understanding and teaching their friends. It also helps me as a teacher know how to reteach and help students more specifically.

One thing as a classroom teacher that I was strong adamant about was literacy and math centers along with small group. Strong quality center opportunities are a must in education today.

Strategy 2 was about artwork. What I am able to do in intervention with art is extremely different from what I would do in the classroom.

We use lots of anchor charts and I have the students help me add images that help them. They also will draw one for themselves.I am also working towards training kids to draw what they visualize from their reading. This is very difficult for kids, but we continue to try and get better with practice. We use the Frayer Model some for vocabulary development. I need to use the strategy more. I need to make my slow down and know it is okay ---- sometimes less is more and can pay off in the end. That is easier said than done for me. If you have not read this book, I highly recommend it. It will give you many validations for all of the great things you are doing as well as think about ways to learn and grow as professional in your teaching.

6 comments:

  1. You make such a good point about listening in on student conversations. What a great way to know more about what to reteach and where to head next!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Linda
    Primary Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It is amazing what we can learn from our students when we truly listen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that so interesting? I've noticed the same thing - it takes some getting used to, for our kiddos, when asked to explain their thinking many think they are wrong and that's why you asked them to explain!

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very interesting. It just confirms even more that it is about the environment and expectations we as teachers put into place.
      Kara
      http://purposefulteachingandlearning.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  4. It's so hard for kids to grasp the concept of being "right" and "wrong" and how it's ok to not be perfect. I try to take a lot of time (especially in math) to go back and talk about the mistakes that they made but make sure they feel encouraged and safe. There is no judgement :) I think when you have an environment like that, it creates a classroom full of meaningful learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are exactly right! It takes time, patience, and practice. The key is in setting up an environment and meaningful classroom experiences!
      Kara
      http://purposefulteachingandlearning.blogspot.com/

      Delete